Wednesday, January 11, 2006

New Job!

I just started a new job on 1.3.06, everything is going great and I really like it here. I can tell this place is going to have a lot of quirks and funny people that are going to keep me entertained. For example, there are two people that I report to and am confused as to why I need two managers. So I asked, "who do I go to for which questions and why?" The response, "Think of it as a professional sports team, I am the general manager and your other boss is the coach" I'm still confused by this, is this the analogy he uses on everyone? Do I look like I've played on a professional sports team and he thought I could relate? This has to be one of the worst analogies I've heard. I really hope he comes up with a better way to explain it to me. I am starting to think he really doesn't know why there is two managers either.

I am also still considered "The new guy", I love that title, when people see me for the first time I get this exact response, "Oh, you must be the new guy, hi I'm 'whoever'" I am keeping track of introductions that go like this word for word, I am up to 6. The funny thing is the awkward silence after the introduction, in IT people are not good with small talk. The "new guy" thing is usually followed up with another stupid question, "So how do you like it so far?" Just once I would like to say some smart ass response like, "fine, until you came over" or "I hate it actually, I am thinking of quitting after lunch" or "The job is going ok, it's the people that suck" Well I better get back to reading my pile o` documents, people don't know what to do with "the new guy" so they just dump a bunch of documents on my desk and expect me to read them. I am putting a list of questions together from my reading to ask my boss, I am really going to need some help trying to decide if each question is a "general manager" question or one more fitting for the "coach".

Tyse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker